Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Implant Day

I had the long-awaited trial period of the spinal cord stimulator today.  It’s a day I don’t want to repeat.  The doctor had to do THREE procedures where only one usually suffices.  Despite many shots of anesthesia, it was still very painful.  When it was all over he said I have scar tissue built up where I had  disc repair surgery in the 1980s.  He said it makes my problem in that area more understandable now.

So, the probes were finally in place and hooked up to the control box.  They  tried for a long time to get the probes right over my tail bone, but couldn’t.  When they turned on the juice to the control box, the current felt like my old problem with paresthesia.  If fact, that’s exactly what it is—paresthesia.  I’m going to try it for a week, making contact with the company’s rep every day.  It’s going to have to do a much better job for me to have a permanent implant.

Not at all what I was hoping for.  I’m very disappointed. Maybe it’ll get better with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment