Sunday, September 13, 2009

Charlie Brown Alert

My dad was admitted to the ER this morning with a bladder infection.  I saw him this afternoon in the ICU where he will spend the night.  He may stay there longer simply because the hospital is full up!

Wilma called me this afternoon when Newel was out “Churchifyin’” so I hopped in the pickup and went over to the hospital myself.  Newel joined me later.  Dad was ruddy-faced and running a fever.  Occasionally he would get the chills and need more covers.  He was very tired, but was still awake when I got there.  Wilma and I spoke with him, but tried not to tire him anymore with conversation.  We are all very concerned because an infection like this is very treatable, but the doctor keeps reminding us that he’s 91.

While I was there his PB was getting closer to normal and he was coaxed into eating some soup and cottage cheese (his choice). Just before his meal arrived he told Wilma and I to get home because it was getting dark and we didn’t want us driving in the dark.  He had a smile on his face as we kissed him goodnight.  We said we’d be back tomorrow morning.

When Dad does go, I want it to be quick and pain-free, but I am not ready to let him go yet (as if I have anything to do with it!) These last 11 years have been so loving, making up for all the fear I had of him while I was growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment